Today we’re talking about different ways of fighting for our country and championing to make a difference.
In celebration of Memorial Day, we are interviewing three people today who have fought for our country and are fighting for our country today in some very different ways.
First, we’ll be talking with my dad, Jack Gutman, who is one of the last living World War ll Veterans who are healthy, lucid, and able to share with us the realities of D-Day, a colossal moment in our country’s history. He joins me today to share his painful recollection of the Invasion of Normandy along with his journey of healing the wounds of war after a 66 year-long struggle with PTSD.
Next, founder and CEO of TerraPro Solutions, Kimberlee Centera, joins us to discuss Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy (WRISE), a national non-profit with a mission to change our energy future through the actions of women. Kimberlee shares how WRISE is committed to building a diverse workforce for the success of the renewable energy economy in the U.S. and around the world.
Then, one of the U.S. Navy’s first female test pilots and only the second woman operational squad commander, Linda Shaffer-Vanaria, joins us to talk about her mission to help leaders and organizations be confident and decisive when facing volatility and uncertainty. She explains the essential characteristics of effective leaders and how to overcome the abundance of disruptions and unpredictability in our world today.
- An inside glimpse of what it was like to land at Utah and Omaha beaches on D-Day in 1944
- The impact of living through such a horrific event and the symptoms experienced after battle
- Why Jack did not seek any help for his PTSD for 66 years, and what finally led him to get help
- The history and mission of Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy (WRISE)
- Building a diverse workforce for the success of the renewable energy economy in the U.S.
- Furthering the professional development of women working in the renewable energy fields
- How leaders and organizations can be clear and confident when facing volatility
- The essential characteristics of effective leaders and leadership skills that will help you soar
“For an 18-year-old mind, this was more than I could comprehend. It was really a tragedy. You see bodies laying there and realize there’s a young man that’s never going to come home.” – Jack Gutman
Born in San Francisco in 1925, Jack Gutman grew up in a tough neighborhood of New York City where survival meant belonging to a gang. His gang was the Panthers.
At 17 years old, wanting so desperately to serve his country, Jack convinced his father to sign for him and he enlisted in the Navy.
After training for months as a Medical Corpsman, his first active duty took him to England to prepare a hospital for the aftermath of the invasion of Europe.
On D-Day he landed between Utah and Omaha Beaches in the invasion of Normandy, having the difficult task of caring for those killed and wounded during the attack.
He later served the same function in the Invasion of Okinawa. He is one of the few veterans who served in both theaters of the war.
After dealing with undiagnosed PTSD for 66 years, he finally got counseling from the VA and today leads a happy, healthy life.
He has explored many career paths including managing a Thrifty Drug Store, selling Insurance, Cosmetics, Automobiles, Sewing Machines, and Adhesives. Later, Jack became a Wall Paper Contractor from which he retired in 2006.
Today he is a one of the last living World War ll Veterans who is healthy, lucid and able to share with us the realities of D-Day, a colossal moment in our country’s history.
Jack is also an active comedian, public speaker, and author of One Veteran’s Journey To Heal The Wounds of War, who loves speaking to groups and touching lives with his story. Recently he was video interviewed by the Smithsonian World War ll Museum in New Orleans and this interview is now part of the museum’s archives.
Kimberlee Centera, founder and CEO of TerraPro Solutions, is a trailblazer in a male-dominated industry.
She is a risk management expert for the development and financing of large-scale generator energy projects for public utilities and community development.
A leading renewable energy expert, Kimberlee has provided commentary for National Public Radio’s Marketplace.
She frequently serves as a speaker at leading wind and solar conferences.
TerraPro Solutions, a leading renewable energy project development consultancy has generated over 10 gigawatts in solar, wind, and energy storage. With a total financed value of over $6 billion, it is the top development consultancy in the renewables market.
TerraPro Solutions provides high-level expertise in the development and implementation of renewable energy projects including wind, solar and energy storage. Comprehensive services range from site feasibility and land acquisition to due diligence for investment and financing, through construction, compliance and post-construction operations.
For over 16 years, Linda Shaffer-Vanaria has worked globally with diverse organizations as a consultant and coach with her company Enterprise Coaching of Carlsbad.
Drawing upon her unique experience as one of the U.S. Navy’s first female test pilots and only the second woman operational squad commander, her mission is to build the capacity of leaders and organizations to be confident and decisive when facing volatility and uncertainty.
Linda’s book, PERCEPTION POWER: 10 SKILLS TO GET YOUR TEAM TO BUY IN, TAKE ACTION AND GAIN MOMENTUM, was an Amazon #1 international bestseller.
Linda has been the Lead Coach for large scale coaching initiatives engaging with the CEOs to the front line supervisors. She has appreciated this range of coaching as it has given her the capacity to provide insights and examples to every level of leadership on how other levels may need or want to experience their leadership.
Accordingly, one of Linda’s strengths is enabling leaders, teams, and organizations to connect the dots from strategy to action and to become increasingly more decisive at doing the rightest things at the rightest times.
“When a bird soars, it’s managing its energy. As leaders, we need to be able to manage our energy in a way that allows us to really get thoughts and solutions together.” – Linda Shaffer-Vanaria
- One Veteran’s Journey to Heal the Wounds of War
- Jack Gutman’s recent interview on FOX News with Martha MacCallum
- TerraPro Solutions on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn
- Kimberlee Centera on LinkedIn
- WRISE – “Leadership Skills That Will Help You Soar!” WRISE Week Lunch & Learn – Tuesday, June 4, 2019, at 11:30 AM – 1:30 PM PDT at the Karl Strauss Brewing Company in San Diego
- Perception Power: 10 Skills to Get Your Team to Buy in, Take Action, and Gain Momentum
- Linda Shaffer-Vanaria on LinkedIn
- Saying The Right Thing When You Don’t Know What To Say
- Grief… When Will This Pain Ever End?: A Guide to Finding Your Way Out of the Depths of Despair After Suffering Profound Loss
- Chakras, The Magnificent Seven
- Contact Cheri Blair: (619)-997-0416 or email@example.com
- If you have any questions or would like to book a session, contact Paula at (626)-864-0756
- Learn More About Host Paula Shaw
Thanks For Listening!
Please share your thoughts with us:
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Send an email: Info@ChangeItUpRadio.com
- Leave a comment below!
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe and leave an honest review on iTunes. Your feedback is invaluable!