Today, we are talking about the effects of grief from trauma and abuse and finding help and healing for victims and survivors.
In this episode of Change It Up Radio, I am joined by Tracy Prior, who has enjoyed a 26-year career as a public prosecutor, and currently serves as a Chief Deputy District Attorney and the Chief Operating Officer for a Family Justice Center called One Safe Place, a one-stop-shop for victims and survivors of abuse and trauma.
Tracy shares how One Safe Place provides a comprehensive support system for victims and survivors of abuse and trauma, including child abuse, elder abuse, domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, labor trafficking, bullying, hate crimes, and other abuse and victimization. One Safe Place aims to provide a welcoming and judgment-free environment for victims and survivors, offering help whenever they are ready to take the first step toward healing.
Tracy advocates for the establishment of more Family Justice Centers, highlighting the need for regional centers like One Safe Place to ensure that victims and survivors can access support regardless of their location. She emphasizes that One Safe Place is not only a refuge, but a place of hope, healing, and justice.
Our conversation also covers the dangers of social media and the use of technology by perpetrators to victimize children. Tracy highlights the importance of educating children about healthy relationships and bystander intervention, and shares examples of programs at One Safe Place designed to teach kids about the warning signs of abuse.
Lastly, Tracy outlines the various free services available at One Safe Place, which include legal services, therapy, medical services, job readiness, housing navigation, general support, and more. The center provides a collaborative response model, ensuring that victims and survivors receive comprehensive care to help them overcome their traumatic experiences and build a brighter future.
Some key topic points covered in this episode include:
- How One Safe Place is a one-stop-shop for victims and survivors of abuse and trauma, offering free services to those in need
- How One Safe Place addresses various forms of trauma, including domestic violence, elder abuse, sexual assault, child abuse, human trafficking, labor trafficking, bullying, etc.
- The need for regional family justice centers to ensure that victims and survivors can access support regardless of their location
- The impact of domestic violence and abuse on children and the importance of breaking the cycle of abuse
- The prevalence of sex trafficking and the importance of raising more awareness
- The role that social media and technology can play in the victimization of children today
- The need for education on healthy relationships and bystander intervention in schools
- Pet-friendly resources and partnerships that One Safe Place offers to ensure no one has to leave a beloved pet behind when seeking help
About Tracy Prior:
Tracy has enjoyed a 26-year career as a public prosecutor, and currently serves as a Chief Deputy District Attorney and the Chief Operating Officer for a 44,000-square-foot Family Justice Center called One Safe Place, a one-stop-shop for victims and survivors of abuse and trauma.
Tracy teaches and trains in various topics, including teaching leadership courses for Attorney General Alliance-Africa, and recently taught technocrats in Zambia and Kenya.
Tracy was instrumental in the development of San Diego County’s Strangulation Protocol which has increased awareness and response to non-lethal strangulation by intimate partners and, as a result, a decrease in strangulation homicides in our region.
In 2022, Tracy testified as a subject matter expert before the California Assembly Public Safety Committee regarding legislation that would help domestic violence victims receive forensic examinations, and In 2018, testified before the United States Senate Judiciary Committee as an expert on Domestic Violence Best practices for the hearing involving reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.
Tracy received the National District Attorney’s Association “Presidents Award” for her work in Child Abuse, and a lifetime achievement award from the San Diego Domestic Violence Council.
Tracy has been married for 26 years, and her biggest accomplishments are her two young boys, ages 15 and 13.
Check out the video below to watch our interview:
- Learn more about One Safe Place
- Call One Safe Place: 760-290-3690
- Email One Safe Place: email@example.com
- Visit One Safe Place: 1050 Los Vallecitos Blvd San Marcos, CA 92069
- Follow One Safe Place on Facebook
- Follow One Safe Place on Instagram
- Learn More About Host Paula Shaw
- If you have any questions or would like to book a session, contact Paula at (626)-864-0756
- Email Paula at PShawLight@gmail.com
- Get Paula’s FREE GIFT: “20 Things to Say and Not to Say” Guide
- Saying The Right Thing When You Don’t Know What To Say
- Grief… When Will This Pain Ever End?: A Guide to Finding Your Way Out of the Depths of Despair After Suffering Profound Loss
- Chakras, The Magnificent Seven
- Paula Shaw on Facebook
Thanks For Listening!
Please share your thoughts with us:
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Instagram
- Follow us on YouTube
- Send an email: Info@ChangeItUpRadio.com
- Leave a comment below!
If you enjoy the show, please subscribe and leave an honest review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts. Your feedback is invaluable!